Friday, 5 February 2010

Inspiration.....

Beading is a technique that i will use within my collection, taking inspiration from the decadence and luxury of 1920s vintage pieces, combined with the ornate tactile embelishment of the Maharaja, as seen at the Victoria and Albert museum. To gain an insight into vintage beading, and beading techniques i will gather research from Hand and Lock and the Warner Textile Archive in Braintree.

Recently i visited Danielle Sprecher, the costume curator for Essex Museums, and had a look at the collection of 1920s beaded garments. I was inspired by the tactile amalgamtion of beads, sequins and fabric. The weight of the beads on the chiffon dresses was a beautiful contrast, and is an elemnt i wish to explore.



I was inspired by the tactile amalgamation of beads (both matt and shiny), sequins and luxurious fabric within this dress. The weight of the beads and the contrast in texture, and colour is an element I wish to explore in my work as it provides a tactile element, and is visually striking.

After viewing the collection of garments i was inspired to start beading, and exploring combinations of colour, texture and heavy clusters of embelishment.
The weight of the mass of beading on this sample has a striking visual impact, and the flapper dress must have looked stunning in motion when worn during the 1920s. It is the contrast between heavy masses of beading that I want to explore within my work, as I am drawn to the impact of the technique.



Beautiful amalgamation of colour and careful placement of embellishment adds to the beauty of this detailing. I am drawn to the decadent clusters of beading, and the tactile nature the dress has as a result.



I was inspired by the tactile amalgamation of beads (both matt and shiny), sequins and luxurious fabric within this dress. The weight of the beads and the contrast in texture, and colour is an element I wish to explore in my work as it provides a tactile element, and is visually striking.

After viewing the collection of dresses i was inspired to further explore beading, juxtaposing colour, texture and scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment